Advertisement

Gyms near the Lake

topic posted Mon, January 9, 2006 - 1:21 PM by  Stephanie
Share/Save/Bookmark
I recently moved to the area and am looking for a good gym. Can anyone comment on any in the area?

I know of Golds, 24-hour, The Courthouse and Oakland YMCA. Golds is the closest to me but I'm wondering what people's experiences have been...

Thanks!!
posted by:
Stephanie
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: Gyms near the Lake

Wed, January 11, 2006 - 9:52 PM
    I work-out at ClubOne at the City Center.

You may want to look there before 24hr or Golds. The price is $$$$ but it is worth it if you want a clean and safe place. In the past 10 years, I tried all that you have mentioned and they are all bad in different ways. Send me an e-mail if you want a free pass to ClubOne so that you can just walk in and try it without the full tour (although the tour is not so bad) and I can meet you in the lobby of the gym someday and hand it to you and you will be on your way.
  • Unsu...

Re: Gyms near the Lake

Wed, January 11, 2006 - 10:10 PM
    I would definitely steer clear of 24 Hour Fitness. The place pretty much is a meat market, the equipment is sub-par, and the trainers are unimpressive.

I've been a long time member of the YMCA -- first in Berkeley, now in Oakland. The facilities are excellent, there's a huge selection of free classes, the trainers know what they're doing, and everyone is generally friendly. Best of all, people are there to exercise and not socialize. It is relatively expensive, but you get a lot for the money. If you like to swim, this is pretty much the only choice.

Thu, January 12, 2006 - 3:08 PM
      the YMCA used to have some sort of discount if you were a kaiser member. Not sure if they're still doing it though...

Thu, January 12, 2006 - 3:37 PM
        i've been a member at gold's for about 2 yrs now and actually really like it despite my first impression. there's definitely the body builder types but it's also a pretty random mix of folks from the neighborhood.

Fri, January 13, 2006 - 12:10 AM
          i checked out the 24hr fitness on webster. . .yikes! such a dissapointment. club one is soooo nice but be prepared to hand over mucho $$$$$$$.

Sun, January 15, 2006 - 10:29 AM
          I used to be a member of the YMCA. It has a lot of classes and facilities (e.g., swimming pool, basketball courts, indoor track, raquetball, spin class) but I found it inconvenient to get to (had to drive) so I ended up never going which kind of defeats the purpose. I joined the Golds Gym on Grand Ave. in September, and I've been pretty happy with it overall. Its your basic neighborhood Gym with a varied mix of people. Its open 5 AM to midnight most days, which is a big plus. And its a 5 minute walk to my house, which means I actually go sometimes! As for costs, Golds is 49$/month with a 1 year committment. If you put more $ down, the monthly rate drops (e.g., 29$/month if you put 200$ down when joining). The YMCA is 59$ a month with a 99$ joining fee (the joining fee is waived if you're a Kaiser member) and no committment. These prices were what I paid, may have changed a bit.

Recent topics in "Lake Merritt Area Oakland"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
gay marriage is free and natural Unsubscribed 0 August 29, 2014
Serious Interracial Dating Site Unsubscribed 0 April 27, 2014
The truth about Lake Merritt * Oakland * 0 November 4, 2013
Foxy Girls in Oakland 0 January 1, 2012